Qwake Technologies is a VC funded startup, focusing on delivering next generation, life-saving navigation, vision, and communication solutions to the First Responders of the world. Qwake Technologies was formed on the principle that safety and performance in complex, hazardous environments depend on one’s ability to rapidly sense, interpret, and communicate critical information. Our first product, C-THRU is a patented augmented reality vision and navigation platform, purpose-built to save lives.
Qwake Technologies was founded in 2016 at the intersection of needs and capabilities from our founders’ unique backgrounds from firefighting, volcanic exploration, brain machine interface (BMI), and advanced product design. C-THRU reduces the visual complexity required to perform mission-critical tasks in real time. In partnership with the Department of Homeland Security, renowned fire agencies, and a publicly traded market leader in fire safety, Qwake Technologies is now commercializing its connected vision and navigation platform to save lives in the first responder market and beyond.
About The Role:
Qwake is looking for a talented Mechanical Engineering Director to drive cross-discipline engineering execution to launch our flagship product visual communication platform, CTHRU. With direct guidance from the leadership team, the Mechanical Engineering Director will collaborate with design and product management to implement priority features, while managing and directing hardware mechanical development and manufacturing readiness.
As a key leader in the company, this person will lead all aspects of the hardware engineering and product development process. The Mechanical Engineering Director needs to be an analytical, yet creative, superstar - someone who can inspire a diverse group of engineers with a compelling technical vision while understanding the business trade offs required to realize that vision. The right candidate will have the curiosity to explore new technologies and drive a culture of innovation along with a capability to deliver predictably.
● Lead , oversee, and manage internal and external mechanical engineering from prototype through mass production
● Participate in building and leading a differentiated, delivery-focused, and impactful engineering team across our portfolio
● Translate product strategy, market requirements, and product requirement documents into highly detailed engineering (functional) specifications ● Collaborate closely with executive team and product leadership to scope, prioritize, organize, and plan engineering schedules
● Produce mechanical architecture and manufacturable designs for all product components, including enclosures, accessories, mounts, cables, connectors, skins, and packaging, leveraging personal skills and management of contractors
● Authoring verification plans and approving validation testing of our products, including verification for all of the product subsystems, assemblies, and accessories
● Development and implementation of repeatable acceptance testing fixtures to achieve required design objectives, including Optical, IR, EMI, environmental contamination (water, dust, humidity, ice, wind, soot), and mechanical durability (drop, accelerated lifecycle testing, heat intrusion)
● Participate and lead focus groups with our customers and product leaders during development
● Management of professional services vendor relationships and accountability for vendor work products, such as component manufacturers, material suppliers, prototypers, and contract manufacturers
● BOM management and up-to-date management of relevant component requirements budgets, such as power, weight, cost, heat, volume, etc.
● Authoring high quality, technical and user-facing documentation, and maintaining an effective revision control scheme for all component, part, and assembly drawings.
Experience / Skills:
Proven track record of managing engineering organizations in a high-growth environment. Ideally, candidate has experience in all of the following:
● Strong interdisciplinary leadership experience in electrical, mechanical, regulatory, prototyping, validation, and test areas
● Developing new commercial products from user-centered design concept through mass production incorporating NPI best practices
● Complex, multi-vendor engineering programs with parallel work streams
● Global component integration and supply chain specification management in fast-paced environments
● Regulatory compliance and certification experience with connected or safety related products (a plus)
● Extensive CAD experience with solids, surface modeling, finite element analysis, and engineering tolerancing
● Experience with tool design and principles of DFM highly desirable
● Strong analytical engineering skills, including mechanical simulation (e.g. Ansys), thermal modeling, and familiarity with Failure Mode & Effects Analysis
Who you are:
Passionate about Mission-driven solution development, with a growth mindset — continually identifying and suggesting new ways to achieve success and help us make a difference -- your background will include the following:
● Has led at least one team or organization’s product from prototype to mass production (experience with wearables and AR is a plus)
● 5+ years experience (or equivalent) in a Management position
● Advanced degree in Mechanical, Electrical, or Manufacturing engineering, or similar
● Passionate about leading, mentoring and inspiring strong, talented engineers, and ability to identify and recruit top talent
● Veteran of successful product launches, which required making use of innovative engineering approaches, thorough understanding of certification constraints, and NPI best practices
● Solid verbal, written, and visual presentation communication skills required to effectively communicate and problem solve with cross functional stakeholders and customers Applying: If you feel you would make a strong addition to our team, or know somebody who you believe possesses the skills and experience to help us really make a difference in the world, then we definitely want to hear from you! Please contact us at email@example.com with a recent CV and cover letter describing your interest and current situation. We will be hiring on a rolling basis and will be adding additional roles often, so please check back. Learn more about our organization by visiting our website at qwake.tech.
The rich text element allows you to create and format headings, paragraphs, blockquotes, images, and video all in one place instead of having to add and format them individually. Just double-click and easily create content.
A rich text element can be used with static or dynamic content. For static content, just drop it into any page and begin editing. For dynamic content, add a rich text field to any collection and then connect a rich text element to that field in the settings panel. Voila!
Headings, paragraphs, blockquotes, figures, images, and figure captions can all be styled after a class is added to the rich text element using the "When inside of" nested selector system.