Software Engineer for Virtual Reality
HP's vision and promise is to engineer experiences that amaze. With the heart, creativity, and energy of a startup, and the brain, muscles, and determination of a Fortune 100 corporation, we continue to deliver ground-breaking new technologies to build on our 80-year legacy of innovation.
The XR team within Personal Systems is a high-performance, high-integrity organization looking for motivated and talented software engineers with a passion for customers, quality, and developing the latest technology in virtual reality. We value collaboration, ingenuity, tenacity, and a sense of humor. So, join our team, work hard, solve problems, and watch as your efforts have a direct impact on the future of HP and the performance and well-being of customers around the world.
This position is for an experienced software engineer with proven software development knowledge to solve complex technical issues. For this position, you will be responsible for design, development, maintenance, testing, quality and performance assurance of system software products used in HP XR software products.
Software development work within this job classification falls into three major categories:
* **Maintenance and enhancement**. Makes changes to system software to correct errors in the original implementation and creates extensions to existing programs to add new features or performance improvements.
* **Major enhancement and new product design**. Designs and develops major functional or performance enhancements for existing products or produces new software products or tools.
* **Quality and performance assurance**. Reviews requirements, specifications and designs to assure product quality; develops and implements plans and tests for product quality or performance assurance.
Candidates will apply developed subject matter knowledge to solve common and complex business issues within established guidelines and recommend appropriate alternatives. They will work on problems/projects of diverse complexity and scope. They will exercises independent judgment within generally defined policies and practices to identify and select a solution. They will be able to handle most unique situations. They may seek advice in order to make decisions on complex business issues.
This position is managed and based in Fort Collins, CO. The team is split between the US and Taipei, TWN.
* Refactoring and developing new software to support new capabilities (both hardware and software)
* Defining new feature acceptance criteria with Marketing
* Developing new features and capabilities within existing software applications
* Developing new features and capabilities that enable disparate software applications to improve compatibility
* Developing new features and capabilities within new hardware platforms
* Coordinating and cooperating with Quality Assurance teams
* Troubleshooting and resolving issues and defects found internally or by customers
* Participating and/or leading technical meetings
* Participating and/or leading development processes
* Supporting steady and regular cadence of public software application releases
**Education and Experience Required:**
* Bachelor's degree in engineering or equivalent (e.g. Computer Science, Electrical, or Computer Engineering) with a minimum of 2 years' experience in professional software development.
**Critical Competencies and Qualifications to Drive Business Results:**
* Proficient in C/C++ with strong object-oriented design and implementation skills.
* Proficient in at least one scripting language (e.g. Python, Ruby).
* Understanding the basics of AI/ML model execution.
* Experience working with complex or low-level WIN32 OS APIs and hardware interfaces (ex. WMI, IOCTLs, HID).
* Thorough understanding of software debugging practices.
* Client/Server and/or peer to peer design and programming ability.
* Multi-OS (Windows and Linux) platform experience.
* Strong interpersonal and teamwork skills in a large, diverse environment.
* Excellent communication skills, verbal and written.
* Strong analytical skills and effective problem solving ability.
* Ability to clearly document test results, defects, and other information.
* Possessing the following leadership qualities:
* Attention to detail
* Sense of urgency
* Goal oriented
* Able to implement creative solutions.
* Delivers results
**Preferred Competencies and Qualifications to Drive Business Results:**
* API development and best practices
* Experience with C#
* Experience with machine learning algorithm development, training, and implementation
* Multi-threaded solution and design experience.
* Modern C++ standards and practice (C++17)
* Understanding of modern VR hardware systems and software ecosystems.
* Experience developing plugins for Unreal Engine 4 or Unity.
* Knowledge about the mechanics of modern, real-time graphics pipelines.
* Project management skills.
HP offers a comprehensive benefits package, including:
* Dental insurance
* Disability insurance
* Employee assistance program
* Flexible schedule
* Flexible spending account
* Health insurance
* Life insurance
The estimated range of compensation for this job at the time of this posting is $81,000 - $99,000. This position may be eligible for incentive pay, for openings where this is applicable.
How to Apply
What’s a Rich Text element?
The rich text element allows you to create and format headings, paragraphs, blockquotes, images, and video all in one place instead of having to add and format them individually. Just double-click and easily create content.
Static and dynamic content editing
A rich text element can be used with static or dynamic content. For static content, just drop it into any page and begin editing. For dynamic content, add a rich text field to any collection and then connect a rich text element to that field in the settings panel. Voila!
How to customize formatting for each rich text
Headings, paragraphs, blockquotes, figures, images, and figure captions can all be styled after a class is added to the rich text element using the "When inside of" nested selector system.
Our Company Values